Monday, April 11, 2011

The Doormat People

So in yesterday's post I didn't really tell you THAT much about myself, but I'm not sure if today's the right time. I mean, really... it's only the second date. How much do you need to know? I'd much rather let you inside my krazy thoughts than to give you facts and let you stereotype me accurately. But for interest's sake, you should know that I come across as unexciting and snobby, when inside my head I'm really having a party. If you could peek into my brain, my thoughts would probably make you blush or tick you off... thus, I try to remain quiet. But now that I'm blogging, BEWARE!

I was going to write this deep, philosophical narrative about the moments of uncertainty in our lives, but that will wait for a day when I have much more time to think. Instead, I'm going to tell a story... a nutty story... a story that will make NO sense to at least 70% of my readers... so 7 out of all of you 10 that actually cared enough to click the Facebook link won't get it. Read it anyway! You may be able to help someone else... :)

Three years ago almost to the date, I was extremely worn out from full-time grad school, full-time teaching, extra responsibilities at work, full-time mommying of a two and three-year old, and full-time failing at taking care of myself. My husband at the time was away on business, and I was beyond exhausted. I let my tiredness slip into anger, and before long I was in a full-fledged fit of rage.

I was ticked at everybody. The kids were being... well, kids. I was mad at their dad for being wherever he was for a month. I was just mad! The dang laundry wouldn't fold itself. I had been let down by friends and family, and the only thing I could think to do was to get away from everyone and everything. Spring Break was just a few days away so I booked a trip to Atlanta. (I had a ball while I was there, but that's not the point.)

Through my continuous fussing, crying and pouting, I packed my bags and made arrangements for the little ones to stay with their grandmother. 

I started to blame God (silly woman that I am) for my feeling like a doormat. I felt totally unloved and unappreciated because of disappointment and hurt. People just kept letting me down, and the most recent wound made the last one hurt all the more. I blamed myself... I just couldn't do anything right.

Now don't get me wrong. I was to blame. I had made poor decisions on how people shared in my life. Too many were too close and demanded too much but provided nothing good for me. But they were wrong as well. There's no doubt about that.

In a weak attempt to release my anger, I fired my cell phone across the bedroom. An "unmentionable" person had let me down for the last time. That same day I loaded up the little people to find to the closest Sprint store.  What if that "unmentionable" person decided to call me back? I should be available, right? (Put your judgmental finger away... you've got some "unmentionables" too.)

The entire 15 minutes of the drive I cried. I sobbed and snotted... snotted and sobbed... until a sweet, tiny, squeaky voice behind me asked "Mommy, why are you crying?"

That threw me deeper into frustration. I wanted to reply "I don't know why I'm crying!" like the women on the postpartum depression commercials do, but that would've been ridiculous.

"Mommy's tired."

Yep. That was the truth. I was beyond tired. You've been tired too, or maybe you haven't experienced deep-seated disappointment on top of exhaustion and anger. Perhaps you've been the cause of it. If any of us think hard enough, we will find ourselves having played both roles.

So I get to stoplight on Staples Mill near the 7-11... I forget the name of the road there, but I'll never forget that moment. To my left side I noticed a big white van. On the van was printed an ad that said "Doormat People. You can walk on us."

My first thought... "I should get a job there. That's something I actually can do!" My second thought was to my Maker: "Et tu, Brute?"

My third thought was a boisterous laugh, and it came out me so fast and so hard that it shattered the disappointment that I felt moments before. Was God going to walk all over me too? Of course not! But He was teaching me that if I tolerated foolishness, He would tolerate it for me. How could He deliver me out of something that I welcomed and permitted for myself?

What people fail to realize about God is that even though He is sovereign, He isn't pushy. So in His infinite wisdom, He whipped my backside for blaming Him for my faults and for allowing others to abuse my kindness by arranging a few moments in time where He seemed to step His all-powerful, holy foot across my pitiful face. Then, I was able to ask Him for help, repent for foolishness, and laugh at myself...

Shortly after the giggling began I heard, "Mommy, why are you laughing now?"

Since that day, I've searched several times for the Doormat People... once just now. I can't find them!  Maybe they went out of business because they let their customers get away with not paying their bills? I don't know... I just can't find them!

Creepy, right?

Just the same, I'll hold on to the lesson. If we lay ourselves down at the mercy of those who have no interest in our well-being, we will always lose. No one can save you from yourself, but you... with help from the Maker of course, but the decision is still yours. Even though friends and family love us, the best will most likely dance around the ugliness of your face under other people's feet, and the worst will exploit it.

Lesson learned.

And as soon as I find out what happened to the Doormat People, I'll be one day closer to sanity. Until then I'm still coming out of krazy...


Signed,

Alana

3 comments:

The Renaissance Dude said...

You write superbly!

Unknown said...

wow, Alana. you have a talent for writing! I'm definitely subscribing.

Devon said...

this is incredibly beautiful!